Wednesday, July 23, 2014

"Some Very Winning Europeans" (European Movie Stars in Life Magazine, 1963)

Good afternoon!

Hope you're not melting, melting in this late summer heatwave--I'm trying to stay cool here at the downtown library, but it's not easy! Lots of work to do today, but I wouldn't leave you hanging...check out this article from 1963 Life magazine on exciting European film stars of the time. Ugh, I just wanted to be Jeanne Moreau when I was sixteen, and I love her happy, smiling jolie-laide face across the page from my boyfriends Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton. Read up on some more familiar names (Sophia Loren, Marcello Mastroianni, Claudia Cardinale. the painfully gorgeous Romy Schneider) and some less (Jules Dassin's wife Melina Mercouri, Maximillian Schell, Bergman star Bibi Anderssen, and how did a pre-Dr. Zhivago Omar Sharif sneak in?), and I've even thrown in some interview clips from the time period for good measure. Spoiler alert: European film stars sometimes give interviews in European languages, but even if you don't speak the language spoken, I hope you enjoy seeing real live interviews from the early 1960's (think about what a thing that was before E! and Entertainment Tonight!)

I gotta skedaddle, but have a great Tuesday! Lord willing I'll be back tomorrow with some more vintage coverage for your viewing pleasure.







                              



          






                             0




                                     



                                  



1 comment:

  1. I just swooned a bit at the pictures of Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...